Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice â our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Internal Audit
Internal Audit at Gemini is dedicated to providing independent assurance of the design and effectiveness of internal controls while working with business partners to solve problems and optimize the control environment for continued growth.
The Role: Associate Director, Internal Audit
Reporting to the Head of Internal Audit, this individual is responsible for managing and executing internal audit activities across Geminiâs Operations, Finance, Legal, Compliance, and Risk departments. The role's primary responsibilities include evaluating Geminiâs control environment and compliance with key regulations, managing third-party internal audit consultants, collaborating with the Risk and Compliance departments on control testing activities, and partnering with key stakeholders to design remediation solutions for identified issues. The Associate Director, Internal Audit has a unique opportunity to help create a modern Internal Audit department in the evolving, fast-paced digital assets industry.
The Associate Director, Internal Audit will provide a critical role in helping Gemini oversee, manage, and monitor existing and emerging risks, as well as partner with business departments in enhancing controls and improving core processes. This individual will scope and execute internal audits, partner with process owners to develop remediation plans for issues, validate issue remediation, and promote a sustainable Internal Audit program. Internal Audit is one of the few functions that has the opportunity to make an impact on all lines of business to ensure critical processes are well controlled. The ideal candidate is a strong critical thinker, adaptive to evolving regulatory environments and emerging risks, has an open and creative mindset on how to approach risk within a rapidly changing environment, and communicates effectively with leadership.
- Manage and execute internal audits in accordance with professional standards, company policies, and regulatory requirements. This includes scope development, control testing, issue identification and vetting with process owners, and report drafting, as well as oversight of in-house auditors and third-party consultants in the execution of these activities.
- Lead a team of in-house auditors by providing oversight of day-to-day audit execution activities, on-the-job coaching, and opportunities for growth.
- Evaluate methods to streamline audit approaches, improve control testing activities, and enhance risk monitoring.
- Work closely with process owners and stakeholders to provide meaningful input on effective risk mitigation, control implementation, and internal audit issue remediation, while maintaining the independence of the 3rd Line of Defense.
- Collaborate with management to ensure internal audit issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Facilitate the annual Internal Audit risk assessment process, including the scoring and documentation of risk ratings.
- Assist the Head of Internal Audit with reporting to the Audit Committee of the Board and regulatory institutions, where applicable.
- Collaborate with the Risk and Compliance departments on control testing activities, maintenance of the process, risk, and control library, and enterprise risk management.
- 8+ years of financial services, fintech, or cryptocurrency internal audit experience with increasing responsibility.
- 4+ years managing an audit team.
- Working knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Ability to be flexible in a rapidly changing risk and regulatory environment and âroll up sleevesâ when priorities or project scopes change.
- Ability to lead a project team and foster a strong working relationship with in-house auditors, third-party co-sourcing providers, regulators, and internal lines of businesses.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to meet project budget and timeline constraints, and to identify and escalate issues that may impact project progress.
- Creative mindset that will allow effective challenge on how the internal audit program and specific internal audit projects are performed to promote continuous improvement.
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to effectively manage and prioritize time amongst various activities.
- Bachelorâs degree in Accounting, Finance, Risk Management or related field, or commensurate work experience.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $182,000 - $254,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidateâs compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.