Financial Crime Compliance Senior Manager
BVNK is a next-generation payments platform for global businesses. We bridge the gap between traditional and digital finance to make payments borderless, instant, and secure. Using the BVNK platform, businesses can send and receive payments on all major schemes and blockchain networks, incorporate stablecoins into their payment flows, and settle funds in over 30 markets.
We are a diverse team spread across the UK, Europe, and South Africa, with a shared belief that in the next five years all payment flows will interact with crypto, and BVNK will be at the forefront of this shift. We recently raised 40m in series A funding, and we're looking for smart, ambitious people to help us build the next generation of payments.
About this role in the team:
Reporting to the Head of Financial Crime Compliance (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brunoccorreia ) you will be responsible for providing leadership and support on all financial crime compliance matters. This includes being responsible for advising the business and senior management on the financial crime risk exposure for new products, services and features and overseeing BVNK’s global financial crime compliance operating model, ensuring adequate and effective systems and controls are in place, in compliance with local legislative and regulatory requirements in all jurisdictions the Group operates. Your key stakeholders are the Chief Legal, Risk, Compliance Officer, and the Heads of Anti-FC Architecture, Intelligence, Customer Portfolio Risk and Assurance.
We are looking for a team player; someone who is adaptable and enjoys solving complex problems in a constantly changing environment. You must be able to think strategically, prioritise appropriately, manage numerous concurring priorities, and work well under stress. You will be comfortable managing senior stakeholders and drafting papers for senior audiences, namely senior management and regulators.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
As the Financial Crime Compliance Senior Manager your key accountabilities include but are not limited to;
- Maintaining BVNK’s global financial crime compliance operating model, ensuring a consistent and scalable approach to financial crime in all jurisdictions the Group operates.
- Overseeing the implementation of the financial crime compliance plan to meet BVNK’s growth strategy.
- Developing industry leading financial crime policies and procedures, ensuring the implementation of adequate and effective systems and controls, in compliance with local legislative and regulatory requirements in all jurisdictions the Group operates.
- Overseeing financial crime risks associated with products, projects, change and growth initiatives.
- Responsible for the regular review of BVNK’s financial crime risk methodologies, including Financial Crime Enterprise-Wide Risk Assessment (FC ERWA), country risk, industry risk and customer risk.
- Leading the regular FC EWRA exercise, including methodology enhancements, completion of the exercise and issuance of governance papers.
- Advising on escalations by the Customer Portfolio Risk and Intelligence areas, including prospective and existing customer portfolio risks, sanctions, adverse media, politically exposed persons, and transaction monitoring (fiat and crypto).
- Preparing reviews of higher risk customers escalated by the Customer Portfolio Risk area, for approval by the Head of FCC and/or the VP Risk & Compliance and Group MLRO.
- Building strong relationships with the Intelligence area, ensuring BVNK’s risk methodologies, policies and procedures are up to date with new financial crime intelligence, and regulatory changes.
- Supporting the Head of Intelligence determining whether or not suspicious activity reports have substance and require disclosure to the relevant authorities.
- Carrying out root cause analysis of identified issues or breaches of financial crime policies, procedures or regulations, to ensure that the cause is identified, understood, escalated and remediated.
- Working closely with the Head of Assurance, ensuring actions resulting from regular monitoring and testing are timely rolled out.
- Working closely with the Head of Customer Portfolio Risk, ensuring feedback loops are established when weaknesses are detected, and bespoke awareness sessions, or any other appropriate action, are quickly completed.
- Working closely with the Banking team on the preparation of risk, compliance and financial crime responses to banking partners’ due diligence requests (ie. AML Questionnaires) and periodic reviews.
- Supporting the Head of FCC providing senior management and Board with timely updates on the financial crime compliance activities.
- Supporting the Head of Compliance updating BVNK’s group compliance matrix and maintenance of BVNK’s group financial crime regulatory reporting schedule, in all jurisdictions the Group operates.
- Developing and embedding a culture of compliance through building strong relationships with relevant stakeholders and by rolling out a financial crime awareness programme across the Group in collaboration with the Head of Compliance.
- Ensuring fulfilment of Money Laundering reporting and Law Enforcement Agency liaison requirements in Malta.
What we need from you:
- Must have proven experience working in a relevant financial crime position within a financial institution, with vast exposure to correspondent banking risks.
- Deep financial crime legal, regulatory, and industry requirements knowledge, preferable with a payments background across multiple currencies.
- Must have knowledge of the regulatory and legislative requirements for the relevant financial crime disciplines including AML/CTF, sanctions, ABC and Tax Evasion, including reporting of annual MLRO reports and SARs, with special focus on the Maltese regime.
- Professional experience as an MLRO or Deputy MLRO role is desirable.
- Experience with financial crime risks associated to cryptoassets is preferable.
- In-depth knowledge of Fund Transfer Regulation; knowledge of Travel Rule is desirable.
- Extensive experience performing risk assessments and drafting policies from scratch.
- Ability to translate regulatory requirements for senior and junior audiences.
- Demonstrated risk-based decisioning and strategic thinking.
- Proactive, time-sensitive, results driven approach in carrying out responsibilities.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, evolving and demanding environment, often with competing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively within a team, cross functionally, as well as independently.
- Ability to deliver projects on time and in accordance with project milestones.
- Practical and solutions-focused approach to problem solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English writing skills.
- Experience managing very senior stakeholders.
What you can expect from us:
- Fair and competitive salary at every stage of your growth
- Meaningful ownership in the business through our employee option scheme
- Flexible working hours, with hybrid working at its heart
- A culture built on passionate growth minded people
- A flexible approach to holiday
- Opportunities to travel to our offices around the world, in locations such as London and Cape Town, to collaborate with your colleagues
- An open and creative environment where you can help us define the future of BVNK, it’s culture, and it’s opportunity sets
At BVNK, we are focused on building a diverse and inclusive team. While you may not meet all of our requirements, we’d encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of our expectations. You may be a great fit for this role or another role in our team.
When applying, mention the word CANDYSHOP to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they are human RNDQuMjIwLjI0OS4xNDEM
This job is closed
Compensation: $81k - $110k *
Location: 60 Valletta, Valletta, Malta
This job is closed
Receive similar jobs: