Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice â our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department:Gemini Ireland & EU
Gemini is seeking a motivated leader with a drive to operate in a high-growth environment and strong experience in risk management to join the Irish office to support our European expansion plans. In Gemini, our Risk function plays a critical role in proactively identifying, assessing, responding to, and communicating Geminiâs exposure, both internally and externally. Gemini is building a robust second line of defense in a first-of-its kind industry; our goal: safeguard Gemini so that we can continue to empower the individual through crypto.
The Role:Head of Risk
Gemini is looking for a Head of Risk for Ireland & EU who will lead and execute a regional risk management strategy for the organization. This position reports directly to Geminiâs Head of Ireland & EU and will be responsible for structuring and managing the Risk team. The Head of Risk is expected to identify, assess, respond to, and communicate risks pertaining to Geminiâs products and operations. The Head of Risk will work closely with every department across the organization. The position will be located in Ireland and will be subject to approval by the Central Bank as the Head of Risk (PCF-14).
- Design, implement, and execute a regional risk management strategy and framework for the organization. Maintain accountability for critical strategic decisions and for the outcome of such decisions
- Recommend, direct, and implement Enterprise Risk Management, strategies and operations and ensure they meet regulatory requirements
- Work closely with key stakeholders to understand the business requirements for products and services, develop effective working relationships with risk owners, and ensure risks related to products and services are understood by Senior Management
- Establish and quantify the organization's 'risk appetite' and ensure risk management approach adheres accordingly
- Provide regular reporting to Senior Management and the Board detailing risk exposures and performance against ârisk appetiteâ to facilitate decision-making
- Set mission, vision, and goals for the Risk team. Develop, lead, and motivate the Risk team to maximize effectiveness and deliver on goals
- Foster innovation and drive enhanced efficiency in all Risk processes
- Provide proactive and practical risk management advice to key stakeholders
- Keep abreast of key developments in the global risk landscape
- Multi-year experience leading and motivating a risk team
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and expertise covering a variety of risk types
- A deep understanding of risk management frameworks
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills and the ability to explain complex concepts
- Practical and commercial approach to problem solving
- Ability to communicate at varying seniority levels, including Senior Management and the Board
- Proven track record of delivering enhancements to process efficiency
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced fintech environment
- Strong drive and proactivity to continuously strengthen the risk management in a fast-growing organization
- Working knowledge of cryptocurrency/DeFi ecosystem and regulatory landscape
- Knowledge of financial services industry and regulatory landscape
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship building abilities
- Experience of working within sophisticated and international financial services businesses
- The experience, confidence and stature to make a strong impact at all levels of the organization as well as to liaise effectively and proactively with the Central Bank
- A tech-savvy, curious and innovative professional and team player with the proven ability to develop and run an effective Risk framework in an energetic, pragmatic, flexible and professional manner
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.