The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking for a business-minded VOLUNTEER who takes a strategic approach to their work, creates strategies that increase the impact of the BCI within the sector, and generates opportunities for organizational development. In a directorate position, the successful candidate will hold the external title of the Principal Assistant Director-General (PAD) who will oversee the Fellowship Scheme Bureau and report to the Director-General. Supported by a Principal Strategy Officer and Council Facilitators, PAD will primarily coordinate the “BCI Fellowship Scheme”.
As with all roles in BCI, this is a voluntary unpaid role.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To coordinate the “BCI Fellowship Scheme” - the work of the Councils of BCI;
- To identify and recruit associates and fellows for the Councils;
- To liaise with the Convenors and Members of the Councils;
- To increase the visibility and reach of the Councils of BCI;
- To support the Director-General and Strategy Director in the preparation and implementation of BCI’s development strategies and vision;
- To identify potential project opportunities (including growth areas, trends, and strategic partnerships);
- To represent the Director-General and BCI at events and conferences;
- To enhance the impact of the organization on a regional and international level by strengthening and promoting the work of the Councils;
- To help identify conferences, events, and initiatives which would be suitable for BCI’s participation;
- To support the delivery of events and stakeholder engagement initiatives.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills;
- Proficiency in other languages (including French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, or Chinese) is desirable;
- Good networking and negotiation skills demonstrated through excellent networks in the international climate change policy community;
- Tenacity and drive to seek new opportunities for the BCI;
- Close attention to detail;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance competing demands under pressure.
General & specialist knowledge
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office;
- In-depth knowledge of topics central to the BCI such as climate change policy, climate finance, and (at least a demonstrable passion about) blockchain technology.
Education & training
- A postgraduate degree in Environmental Management/Economics/Law, Climate Change Policy, Sustainable Development, or a related field;
- Research or policy development experience preferred.
- Proven ability in HR and project management;
- Proven ability to coordinate and develop research projects;
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience in working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using one's own initiative.
What difference will you make?
This is a great first step to take to gain experience for an industry change into climate action and/or emerging tech. It is also a great opportunity for those wanting to take some time to get involved in changing the world and work with like-minded people.
Blockchain and other emerging technologies. Climate change and sustainability. These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organizations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying, and analyzing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.
Benefits you will get from volunteering with BCI are enormous and some include:
- You will hone or learn new skills including research, presentation, writing, professional etiquette,
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you with a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge a close connection.
Before you apply
Candidates must submit their CVs, cover letters, English work samples, and contact details in their applications. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete a set of written exercises virtually to assess their suitability for this role and the organization. Candidates who have passed the written exercises will be invited to attend virtual interviews with the hiring managers.