Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that hasexperience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world –a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
We are looking for intellectually curious, highly motivated software engineers to be foundational members of our Machine Learning and Data Platform team. You will build partnerships across the company and design scalable solutions to pressing business goals.This role will drive end-to-end initiatives leveraging software, data & machine learning.
What you'll do:
- Identify and make key decisions about how we build data systems at Whatnot – and then make it happen.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of our data platform architecture. We're an entirely cloud-based company and team, and our environment grows more sophisticated as we scale. You will help craft best practices and roll outs to steer the direction of the team.
- Work with key stakeholders to design data applications for both internal and external audiences and a variety of use cases, such as machine learning, experimentation, and real-time analytics.
- Support efforts to optimize the entire data platform, including our real-time logging solutions, analytics databases, data warehouse, metrics store, and more.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next software engineer,you should have 3+ years of experience, plus:
- Proficiency in at least one server-side programming language (preferably Python or C#), common algorithms and data structures, and software design principles.
- Ability to write well-tested, API-driven applications and services that run at scale in production.
- Significant experience in one or more of our core data platform capabilities:
- Batch and streaming design patterns and tools (Kinesis, Kafka) and developing event-driven applications.
- Management of cloud data warehouses (Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift, etc.) for processing and serving data products.
- Machine learning operations and tools (Orchestration, distributed model training, feature stores) for scaling out model development and supporting developers.
- Understanding of the cloud, and experience with at least one of the major cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) and their associated standard methodologies (basic networking, authentication/authorization patterns, patterns for high-availability and fault-tolerance, etc.).
- Comfort with infrastructure-as-code approaches (Terraform, CloudFormation, Pulumi, etc.).
- Professionalism around collaborating in a remote working environment. Above average documentation and communication skills.
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.
When applying, mention the word CANDYSHOP to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they are human RMzUuMTc1LjEwNy4xNDIM
This job is closed
Location: CA Los Angeles, California, United States
This job is closed
Benefits: 401k, Dental Insurance, Medical Insurance, Unlimited Vacation
Receive similar jobs: