The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteer-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain and other emerging technology in the global fight against climate change.
As with all roles in BCI, Accounting Manager is a voluntary unpaid role. We are looking for a passionate VOLUNTEER - senior accountant (committing 1-2 days per month on average) who will oversee the Accounting Unit and support financial decision-making information by collecting, analyzing, investigating, and reporting financial data. Driving the end-to-end financial accounting process, including preparing financial reports to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities and turning actions into impacts to shape climate policy on a global platform.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the Accounting Unit team and organizing its work and outputs;
- Performing general cost accounting and other related duties in the accounting role;
- Preparing periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements;
- Maintaining the general ledger;
- Preparing payroll and maintaining payroll information (where applicable), creating reports, and resolving any payroll discrepancies that may arise;
- Coding invoices, setting up new accounts, reconciling accounts, and closing the monthly books;
- Ensuring any regulatory returns (e.g. corporation tax, VAT) are submitted accurately and on time;
- Tracking the financial performance of projects that the BCI enters into; and
- Reconciling bank accounts at least monthly, verifying deposits, and addressing inquiries from banks.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional written English, the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a team
- Proven ability to effectively multitask and prioritize work;
- Excellent problem-solving skills; and
- Excellent attention to detail and proactive attitude
General & Specialist Knowledge:
- Strong financial management expertise is essential for this role.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is essential to perform this role;
- Some knowledge of topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance, and blockchain technology preferred.
Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or international professional qualification in accounting required.
- Proven experience working in a similar role is essential, ideally acquired in a not-for-profit environment;
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience in working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative; and
- Previous experience within an international NGO is desirable but not a requirement.
What difference will you make?
Blockchain and other emerging technologies. Climate change and sustainability. These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organizations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying, and analyzing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.
The BCI Communications team aims to tell the BCI story and our role in driving innovation to mitigate climate change and create a cleaner and greener future. As a think-tank and advocacy group for such a major issue, we understand the importance of being a credible expert and advisor which is why it is essential to demonstrate our research-driven approach to the relevant stakeholders.
Benefits you will get from volunteering with BCI are enormous and some include:
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you with a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge a close connection.
Before you apply
Please submit your application with CVs and cover letters. If shortlisted, you will be contacted by one of our recruiters to complete 2 x 45 minutes assessments. If successful, you will be asked to complete an in-tray exercise based on the role you have applied for prior to an interview with the Division Director. Please note that your details will be held in respect of GDPR compliance, for future volunteering opportunities with the BCI.
When applying, mention the word CANDYSHOP to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they are human RMy4yMzguMTgwLjE3NAM