The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking for a passionate professional VOLUNTEER who takes a methodological approach to their work, conducts independent research and analysis, engages with key stakeholders, and establishes strategic partnerships to progress the BCI’s core mission. Driving the end-to-end research process, conducting both independent research and mentoring research officers, publishing research, producing briefing materials for speeches and presentations at high-level conferences; and turning actions into impacts to shape sustainable finance policy agenda on a global platform.
BCI is currently looking for an outstanding volunteer to undertake the role of Director of Research (Sustainable Finance) leading Research Division I at BCI. As with all other roles in BCI, this is a voluntary unpaid role. The credentials of candidates should cover the following areas of knowledge:
Green/Environmental/Climate/Sustainable Finance. This specifically includes:
- Deep understanding of the TCFD (Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures) Recommendations – This framework has become in recent years the most important guideline to help financial and non-financial organizations assess climate-related risks and opportunities.
- Working knowledge of different aspects of the finance sector – It includes important asset classes (e.g. Fixed Income, Equities, Commodities, Derivatives, etc.), types of stakeholders (e.g. Institutional Investors, Exchanges, Asset Managers, Regulators), Risk Assessment, New Regulations (e.g. Basel III/IV), among others.
- Knowledge of important Sustainable Finance standards – This includes financial products such as Fixed Income (e.g. ICMA Green Bonds Principles, ISO 14030, etc), Equities (e.g. SASB, GRI, IFRS), and EU Taxonomy, among others.
Transformational Data Technologies.
This specifically involves:
- Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies – This should include well-known open-source projects like Ethereum as well as domain-specific ones like Corda R3.
- Artificial Intelligence – The increasing amount of data from ESG investment requires the use of new technologies like Machine Learning (ML). The Director of Research in this Division should demonstrate experience with supervised and unsupervised ML.
- Internet of Things – Data from real economy projects in sectors such as Energy, Transport, Materials & Buildings, and Agriculture, among others could be collected in order to demonstrate the environmental impact of sustainable investments.
- Other aspects of Data and Distributed Computing – In order to handle the growing amount of data across the ESG investment spectrum, candidates should have a working knowledge of Cloud Infrastructure, Version Control (GitHub), DevOps, Software Development, Data Engineering, Databases (SQL and NoSQL), etc.
Interaction between the above.
- The successful candidate is expected to be cognizant of the intersection of the above and other related fields in order to produce state-of-the-art research outputs across these cross-disciplinary fields. For example, “Blockchain Green Bonds” could be used to fund Energy Efficiency or Agricultural projects, and “Data” flowing from such real economy projects could help automate aspects such as impact assessment, smart contracts in a DLT, etc.
The main responsibilities of the Director will include:
- To provide leadership, strategic planning, and administrative and personnel management across the entire Division, particularly with projects that combine “Sustainable Finance” and “Data Technologies” in response to demands from governments;
- To report to the Director-General, the ExCo, and advisors on progress across the management and a wide range of projects taking place in the Division;
- To coordinate research support for fellows’ councils in areas such as sustainable finance, renewable energy, carbon trading, biodiversity conservation, etc.;
- To carry out primary and secondary research activities, including both quantitative and qualitative, analytical examination and publishing of high-quality research which spearheads the growing field of sustainable finance (particularly climate/environmental aspects);
- To generate opportunities for strategic partnerships with the support of Strategy Officers;
- To attend conferences and events to promote the BCI, communicate research findings and insights engage with key stakeholders.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent English writing skills and detail-orientated;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance competing demands under pressure;
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present ideas appropriately and persuasively; and
- Aptitude in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish (desirable).
General & specialist knowledge
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office; and
- Strong depth of knowledge on topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance, blockchain technology, and artificial intelligence preferred (see vacancy description for details).
Education & training
- A relevant degree or training in the relevant discipline, at Ph.D. level, preferred; and
- Experience in producing research outputs and structured reports for different audiences.
- Proven ability in organization/business development (e.g. experience working in a target-driven role);
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience in working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative; and
- Experience in designing, planning, and facilitating independent research and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience leading technology projects (e.g. AI, IoT, DLT) that support sustainable development.
Blockchain and other emerging technologies - Climate change and sustainability - These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organizations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying, and analyzing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.
One of the most important aspects of BCI’s mission is to support legislators and policymakers to create an enabling environment for the adoption of distributed ledger technologies. To that end, this opportunity will ensure BCI is financially sustainable before we make the developing-country communities sustainable.
What's in it for the volunteer?
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you with a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge close connections.
As a voluntary organization, we are pleased to open the door for candidates who may not have the prior experience they need to start, progress, or switch their careers. To recruit the most suitable, talented, or potential new members out of the volume of applications received, it is the BCI’s policy to also consider inexperienced candidates to fill our voluntary unpaid roles as long as they can demonstrate the skills required in the written assessment. In the selection process, most candidates will be invited to complete the following assessment.
Section A: Verbal and Numerical Reasoning (20 multiple-choice questions)
Section B: Situation Judgement Test (20 multiple-choice questions)
Section C: In-Tray Exercise (An open-ended assessment relevant to the duties of the role)
Candidates who pass all three sections will be invited to attend a phone screening, first interview, and final interview online.
This job is closed
Compensation: $82k - $186k *
Location: United Kingdom
This job is closed
Receive similar jobs: