Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice â our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department:Crypto Core
The Role: Senior Site Reliability Engineer
In our work, we research applicable cloud software and hardware security approaches to implement tools and approaches to support our signing environment. This work extends from the hardware (e.g., trusted platform modules or TPMs, hardware security modules or HSMs, and trusted execution environments or TEEs) to the application layer (e.g., application layer communication protocols). Given the need to build and integrate many of these security engineering components, the ideal software security engineer will have a high degree of experience in system security and one or more cloud environments. This engineer will also work closely with various teams including our Security Operations, Product Security, Wallet Engineering, and Platform Engineering teams.
We are a dynamic group with both entrepreneurial spirit and security engineering experience. We have incredibly high aspirations, and we are looking for like-minded individuals who want to guide the transition to a new more decentralized world where access to digital assets is normalized and ubiquitous.
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain software and security solutions supporting the Signing team
- Develop tools and automation that integrate security into systems and process
- Improve the capabilities of the existing signing security infrastructure with a mindset towards infrastructure as code
- Improve availability and reliability while maintaining acceptable security
- Integrate the use of hardware security mechanisms into the secure build infrastructure. Example hardware security mechanisms include a trusted platform module (TPM), hardware security module (HSM), trusted execution environment (TEE), smartcard, and/or other similar hardware key storage mechanisms. Example applications of these mechanisms include key storage, signing, encryption, code attestation, and secure boot
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) scenarios to validate operability of physical and digital material
- 2+ years implementing software with security primitives
- Hands-on experience in at least one or more cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure, or others)
- Hands-on expertise with at least one area of software security
- Strong understanding of systems/network security, secure protocol design, secure build and supply chain management, encryption, authentication, key management and applied cryptography
- Experience implementing software automation processes applied in a software security environment
- Proficiency in a common scripting language including but not limited to Python, Ruby, etc.
- Able to troubleshoot and debug issues, and demonstrate a methodical approach to root cause analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; attentive to details
- 5+ years implementing software with security primitives
- 2+ years implementing software in AWS
- 1+ years using monitoring, alerting, and automation tooling (e.g., docker, ansible)
- Experience in a code-first environment, developing automated solutions to solve support and operational issues
- Experience working with engineering teams, teaching, training, and mentoring on how to implement best-practice technical solutions
- Experience with secure build software infrastructure that makes use of a trusted platform module (TPM), hardware security module (HSM), trusted execution environment (TEE), smartcard, and/or other similar hardware key storage mechanism
- Experience in researching and addressing complex business topics around TPMs, HSMs, TEEs, secure build infrastructure, and applied cryptography
- Experience implementing software in any of the following: operating systems, kernel development, or cryptographic hardware (PKCS#11, FIPS 201-1 PIV, smartcards, TPMs, HSMs, or TEEs)
- Ability to read and write code written in Python, Java, Scala, C/C++, and Golang
- Hands-on expertise with hardware security modules or hands-on expertise with discrete or firmware trusted platform modules or hands-on expertise with trusted execution engines and secure enclaves
- Knowledge of hardware security, verified/secure boot, tamper resistance, side-channel attacks, anti-cloning, and PUFs
- Demonstrated ability to convert theoretical security concepts into production
- Experience in network engineering and security
- Solid understanding of Product Management and Product Ownership, Agile practices and methodologies
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $136,000 - $190,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidateâs compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.