How To Become a Web3 Developer in 2023? The Complete Roadmap
What is a web3 developer?
A Web3 developer is a software developer who specializes in building decentralized applications (dApps) using blockchain technology. Web3 developers use a variety of tools and programming languages, such as Solidity, Web3.js, and Truffle, to build and deploy smart contracts, which are self-executing contracts with the terms of the agreement written directly into code.
Web3 developers work on a wide range of projects, including decentralized finance (DeFi) applications, non-fungible token (NFT) marketplaces, supply chain management solutions, and identity verification platforms. They may also work on the development of new blockchain platforms and protocols, as well as the integration of existing systems with blockchain technology.
Web3 developers need to have a strong understanding of blockchain technology, cryptography, and distributed systems. They should also have experience with software development, object-oriented programming, and agile methodologies. In addition, they should be familiar with decentralized technologies, such as IPFS and OrbitDB, and understand how they can be used to build decentralized applications.
What skills are needed for a Web3 developer?
Web3 development involves creating decentralized applications (dApps) using blockchain technologies, such as Ethereum or Polkadot, and requires a specific set of skills. Here are some of the essential skills required to become a successful Web3 developer:
- Proficiency in Solidity: Solidity is a programming language used to write smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain, which is the most popular blockchain for building dApps. Therefore, a Web3 developer should be proficient in Solidity.
- Understanding of Blockchain: Web3 developers must have an in-depth understanding of blockchain technology, including how it works, its advantages and disadvantages, and the various types of blockchain networks available.
- Familiarity with Web3 tools: To develop Web3 applications, developers should be familiar with the Web3 stack, which includes tools like Metamask, Remix, Truffle, and Ganache, among others.
- Knowledge of decentralized infrastructure: Understanding decentralized infrastructure components such as IPFS, Swarm, and Whisper is crucial to designing decentralized applications.
- Cryptography: Web3 developers should have a good understanding of cryptography concepts such as public and private keys, encryption, and digital signatures.
- Experience with smart contract development: Web3 developers must have experience in developing smart contracts that run on blockchain networks.
- Understanding of governance and consensus models: Web3 developers should be familiar with different consensus mechanisms like Proof of Stake, Proof of Work, and Delegated Proof of Stake.
Web3 developer roadmap
The field of Web3 development is constantly evolving, but here is a general roadmap for becoming a Web3 developer:
- Learn the basics of blockchain technology: Start by learning the basics of blockchain technology, including how it works, its components, and its architecture.
- Learn Solidity: Solidity is a programming language used to write smart contracts for the Ethereum blockchain. It is a key tool for Web3 developers, and you will need to become proficient in Solidity to develop decentralized applications on Ethereum.
- Learn Truffle: Truffle is a popular development framework for building decentralized applications on Ethereum. It provides a suite of tools and libraries that simplify the development process, including testing, debugging, and deployment.
- Learn IPFS: InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a decentralized file storage system used by many Web3 applications. It is important to understand how it works and how to use it to store data in a decentralized way.
- Build your first decentralized application: Once you have a solid understanding of the basics, start building your first decentralized application. This will help you gain practical experience and learn best practices for Web3 development.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments: The field of Web3 development is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments. This may involve attending conferences, following industry leaders on social media, and joining online communities.
How to make a transition into Web3 development?
Transitioning to a Web3 developer role can be a challenge, particularly for those who are coming from a traditional developer role. However, for those who are already working in a web3 company as a developer, it can be easier to make the transition because the company already knows you.
There are several reasons why it can be easier to become a Web3 developer within your company. Here are a few:
- Familiarity with the company culture and processes: If you have been working in your company as a developer for some time, you are likely familiar with the company culture and processes. This can make it easier to adapt to a new role and integrate with the existing team.
- Existing relationships with colleagues: Similarly, if you have been working in your company as a developer, you likely have existing relationships with colleagues. These relationships can be valuable when transitioning to a new role, as you can rely on your colleagues for support and guidance.
- Access to internal resources and training: Your company may have internal resources and training programs that can help you transition to a Web3 developer role. This can include access to training materials, online courses, and mentorship programs. By taking advantage of these resources, you can build your skills and knowledge in Web3 development more easily.
- Existing understanding of the company's products and services: If you have been working in your company for some time, you likely have a good understanding of the company's products and services. This can be valuable when transitioning to a Web3 developer role, as you can leverage this knowledge to build decentralized applications that align with the company's goals and values.
- Support from the company: Finally, if you are transitioning to a Web3 developer role within your company, you are likely to receive support from the company. This can include access to resources, mentorship, and guidance from senior developers. By taking advantage of this support, you can accelerate your transition to a Web3 developer role.
- Also, companies are interested in training people because if you train someone to be a Solidity engineer, you don't have to find one.
Overall, transitioning to a Web3 developer role can be a challenge, but if you are already working in a company as a developer, it can be easier because the company already knows you. By taking advantage of the resources and support available within your company, you can build your skills and knowledge in Web3 development and become a valuable asset to your company.
How do I start a career on Web3?
Starting a career as a Web3 developer requires a significant amount of learning and practice. However, with the right skills and experience, you can build a successful career in the Web3 industry. Here are some steps you can take to start your career as a Web3 developer:
- Learn the basics of blockchain technology: To become a Web3 developer, you must have a solid understanding of blockchain technology. Start by reading articles, watching videos, and taking courses on blockchain technology, its underlying principles, and how it works.
- Learn the Solidity programming language: Solidity is the programming language used to create smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain. There are many resources available to help you learn Solidity, including the Solidity documentation, online courses, and tutorials.
- Build projects and contribute to open-source projects: Building projects and contributing to open-source projects are great ways to practice your skills and gain experience. You can start by building small projects like a simple dApp or a smart contract and contribute to open-source projects on platforms like Github.
- Attend hackathons and networking events: Attending hackathons and networking events can help you meet other Web3 developers, learn about new technologies, and get feedback on your projects. Hackathons are also great opportunities to collaborate with other developers and build innovative Web3 applications.
- Keep learning: The Web3 industry is constantly evolving, and as a Web3 developer, you need to keep up with new technologies, tools, and programming languages. Attend conferences, read blogs, and take courses to stay up-to-date with the latest trends in Web3 development.
What programming language is used for Web3?
However, there are other programming languages used for Web3 development, such as Vyper, a Python-like programming language that is also used to write smart contracts on the Ethereum network. In addition, there are other blockchain platforms like Polkadot, which supports multiple programming languages like Rust, C++, and AssemblyScript.
Overall, the programming languages used for Web3 development depend on the blockchain platform being used and the specific requirements of the project. However, Solidity is currently the most widely used programming language for Web3 development, especially for Ethereum-based dApps.
Are Web3 developers in demand?
Yes, Web3 developers are in high demand due to the increasing popularity and adoption of blockchain technology. As more companies and organizations look to integrate blockchain technology into their operations, the demand for Web3 developers is expected to continue to grow.
The Web3 ecosystem includes many different applications and use cases, such as decentralized finance (DeFi), non-fungible tokens (NFTs), supply chain management, and identity verification, among others. These applications require specialized Web3 development skills, such as smart contract development, blockchain architecture design, and decentralized application development.
In addition, the growth of the Web3 industry has led to the emergence of new blockchain platforms, such as Polkadot, Solana, and Cardano, which require skilled Web3 developers to build applications on their networks.
Web3 developers can work in a variety of roles, such as software developers, smart contract developers, blockchain architects, or consultants, among others. The demand for these roles is expected to grow in the coming years, making Web3 development a promising and in-demand career path.
Check how many new web3 developer jobs are posted per month in Dec 2021 - Feb 2023:
- Dec 2021: 1567
- Jan 2022: 1410
- Feb 2022: 1829
- Mar 2022: 1754
- Apr 2022: 1694
- May 2022: 1403
- Jun 2022: 1194
- Jul 2022: 845
- Aug 2022: 1137
- Sep 2022: 1098
- Oct 2022: 1248
- Nov 2022: 754
- Dec 2022: 567
- Jan 2023: 460
- Feb 2023: 511
To understand how competitive it is to find a web3 job you need to know how many applicants are applying on average per job every month.
- Dec 2021: 54
- Jan 2022: 57
- Feb 2022: 61
- Mar 2022: 83
- Apr 2022: 81
- May 2022: 78
- Jun 2022: 68
- Jul 2022: 66
- Aug 2022: 63
- Sep 2022: 66
- Oct 2022: 58
- Nov 2022: 112
- Dec 2022: 110
- Jan 2023: 131
- Feb 2023: 47
Web3 developer salary
The salary of a Web3 developer can vary depending on several factors, such as the level of experience, location, employer, and specific skills. In general, Web3 developers can expect to earn competitive salaries, as the demand for these professionals is increasing.
The average Web3 developer salary is $100k - $187k per year.
The salary depends on the technology, programming language, years of experience, location and the seniority.
North American developers have the highest average salary $120k per year, with a minimum base salary of $62k and a maximum of $240k.
South American developers have the lowest salary. Their average yearly salary is $50k,
with a minimum base salary of $15k and a maximum of $150k.
Trend in web3 salary
How web3 salary has changed in Dec 2021 - Feb 2023:
- Dec 2021: $120k
- Jan 2022: $118k
- Feb 2022: $114k
- Mar 2022: $121k
- Apr 2022: $118k
- May 2022: $108k
- Jun 2022: $122k
- Jul 2022: $89k
- Aug 2022: $117k
- Sep 2022: $142k
- Oct 2022: $155k
- Nov 2022: $146k
- Dec 2022: $153k
- Jan 2023: $130k
- Feb 2023: $204k
However, it's worth noting that these salary figures are just averages and can vary significantly depending on factors such as the employer, the specific skills required, and the location. In addition, the Web3 industry is still relatively new, and salary ranges may change as the industry evolves.
The web3 developer salary can be quite competitive, and with the growing demand for Web3 developers, it's likely that salaries will continue to rise in the coming years.
Web3 developer courses
There are many online courses available to learn Web3 development. Here are the best 5 Web3 developer courses:
Coursera Blockchain Basics
A learner will be able to recognize foundational concepts of blockchain, and apply these program concepts on the blockchain.
Solidity Path: Beginner to Intermediate Smart Contracts by Crypto Zombies
Solidity, Blockchain, and Smart Contract Course – Beginner to Expert Python Tutorial
This course will give you a full introduction into all of the core concepts in blockchain, smart contracts, solidity, NFTs/ERC721s, ERC20s, Coding Decentralized Finance (DeFi), python and solidity, Chainlink, Ethereum, upgradable smart contracts, and full stack blockchain development
Get the basics of Solidity down by Buildspace
We're just going to hop right in and get you writing smart contracts. We'll hack it together and get it working first! Get the basics of Solidity down
To find more Web3 Developer Courses make sure to check out our Learn Web3 page.
Web3 developer job description
A Web3 developer is a software developer who specializes in building decentralized applications (dApps) using blockchain technology. Here is a typical job description for a Web3 developer:
- Design and build complex automated strategies using vaults
- Envision and develop features to help build new applications
- Implement algorithms developed for our novel AMM
- Collaborate with the team and cross-functional partners on all aspects of product development.
- Identify and advocate for team-wide areas of improvement and best practices.
- Mentor team members to refine their technical and architectural skills.
- Take a security first approach to smart contract development
- Experience owning and shipping multiple products
- 5+ years of industry experience in software engineering preferably in a low level language like C++
- Basic Solidity understanding, preferably with at least one project shipped to mainnet
- Ability to quickly iterate and ship code using test-driven development patterns
- Experience with version control, such as Git
- Knowledge of engineering best practices such as continuous integration
- Exceptional judgment, problem-solving skills, and an analytical mindset
- Ability to work in areas beyond your comfort zone and motivated by personal growth
- A passion for learning and a self-awareness of your learning style
Web3 developer resume
Web3 developer resume should highlight your proficiency in relevant programming languages and your experience building decentralized applications using blockchain technology. It should also demonstrate your ability to work collaboratively and deliver high-quality, scalable solutions. Here is a sample resume for a Web3 developer:
- Experience with IPFS, OrbitDB, and other decentralized storage technologies
- Strong understanding of smart contract development and Ethereum network
- Experience with Web3.js, Truffle, and other relevant blockchain development frameworks
- Proficient in agile software development methodologies and working in collaborative team environments
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
Web3 Developer, 2021 - 2023
- Designed and developed smart contracts using Solidity and other relevant programming languages
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and deploy decentralized applications
- Developed APIs and integration points to connect decentralized applications with existing systems
- Implemented cryptography and security measures to ensure the safety and security of blockchain-based applications
- Developed and implemented decentralized storage solutions using technologies such as IPFS and OrbitDB
- Participated in code reviews, testing, and deployment processes
- Stayed up-to-date with the latest trends and developments in blockchain technology and Web3 development
Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field, Harvard, MA, United State,, 2020
Web3 developer jobs
Web3 developer jobs are becoming increasingly popular as the use of blockchain technology and decentralized applications grows. Here are some examples of Web3 developer jobs:
- Smart Contract Developer: This is a developer who specializes in writing smart contracts using programming languages such as Solidity. Smart contracts are self-executing contracts with the terms of the agreement between buyer and seller being directly written into lines of code.
- Decentralized Storage Developer: This is a developer who specializes in building decentralized storage solutions using technologies such as IPFS, OrbitDB and Swarm.
- Cryptography Developer: This is a developer who specializes in implementing cryptographic algorithms and security measures in blockchain-based applications to ensure the safety and security of the application.
- DApp Designer: This is a developer who specializes in designing user interfaces and user experiences for decentralized applications. They work closely with Web3 developers to ensure that the DApps are functional, user-friendly, and visually appealing.
- Blockchain Consultant: This is a consultant who advises companies on the benefits and use cases of blockchain technology. They work with businesses to help them understand how blockchain can help solve business problems or improve processes.
- Blockchain Researcher: This is a researcher who specializes in studying the latest trends and developments in blockchain technology. They work in academia, research institutions or private companies to understand and develop new applications of blockchain technology.
These are just a few examples of Web3 developer jobs. As the use of blockchain technology and decentralized applications continues to grow, the demand for Web3 developers is likely to increase, providing a wide range of career opportunities.
If you are interested in finding web3 developer jobs here are best places to find them:
- Web3 Jobs
- Remote Web3 Jobs
- Blockchain Jobs
- Solidity Jobs
- Web3.js Jobs
- Crypto Jobs
- Remote Crypto Jobs