At Protocol Labs, we are working on a new effort to revamp the way people interact with Data. One of the biggest challenges with interacting with large datasets is enabling people to interact with the data in the location where it resides. If we were to do this, it would improve speed, efficiency and security of these interactions, and unlock new scenarios in sharing results.
To realize this vision, we must ensure that our protocols, tooling and systems support high scale, distributed and untrusted execution of data processing in a familiar and efficient way. Our project, code named Bacalhau, is just beginning to get underway, and we are looking for individuals to join as some of the very first members of the team and help us build and evangelize a new platform for distributed computation.
The Compute Over Data team seeks an extraordinary Developer Relations Lead to specifically focus on rallying developers and scientists around the world to help advance the state of the art, exploring novel technologies, and bridging research areas into documentation and tools the community can build on.
Compute Over Data at Protocol Labs
The goal is to enrich the Filecoin ecosystem by providing a compute over data framework that integrates seamlessly with core functionality and can be a platform for future developers in any ecosystem. That includes building core UX that Filecoin more useful immediately and empowering the ecosystem through reusable and swappable interfaces and object based on specific needs
Learn more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4iJm-RbyA&list=PLhuBigpl7lqsg9s4l9TXiIX5vemchi5kz&index=2
Specifically, we would love this person to own:
- Starting, leading and growing an open-source community of like-minded individuals who can help the project launch and gain momentum
- Keeping Bacalhau documentation (for new protocols, CLI, hosting solutions, etc) up to date and complete
- Having relevant/new demos for new releases (including case studies)
- Organizing community events around new releases (e.g. having proper materials ready for presentations (a simple deck that could allow anyone to organize a meetup once a quarter that had demos/docs for "Here's everything Bacalhau launched since we last met")
- Creating/maintaining/submitting talks to important research conferences
- Anything else that helps bring our project to the world and gets feedback from actual users
This is likely more work than any one individual could take on on their own. This person could do these items themselves, build (and manage) an internal team, use an external workforce, partnering with the ecosystem and external firms to handle key components, or some combination of all of the above.
Goals that we might expect from such a role would include:
- Publication of testable documentation for all externally facing functions developed by Bacalhau over the year and measuring the performance of the website
- Publication of 5+ demos and 5+ case studies for each new release
- Produce content and encourage local individuals to hold 100 meetups in 5+ cities
- Enabling partnerships with 5+ research teams (10-20 individuals) to actively work on projects related to Bacalhau
- Achieve 500+ people in a community space (e.g. Slack, email list, etc)
- Create and run a bi-yearly workshop for contributors
- Launch tools to collect user feedback across email, StackOverflow, Discord, Twitter, Slack, GitHub and participate in 4+ backlog management sessions over the course of the year to flesh out user stories with the end user in mind
We expect this person not to do all these activities themselves, but to have a vision about what makes for a wonderful developer experience, contract/coordinate/hire the necessary resources to enable this, and have a high bar for quality to which they hold all of Protocol Labs and our community. Through it all -- the tactical and strategic work -- your warmth and thoughtfulness will be needed to maintain welcoming spaces for our community members.
Ideal candidates will have...
- Previously managed technical relationships in a partner or sales engineering capacity globally or in multiple countries
- Advised on partner projects’ application architecture and done co-development in Github with them
- Familiarity with peer-to-peer, decentralized, or blockchain technologies
- Experience with developer relations and developer support
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- And will enjoy taking initiative to solve open-ended problems
- Experience writing documentation or producing other content to synthesize and simplify technical concepts for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with P2P, blockchain, and dapp development tools and workflows
- Experience speaking at conferences, developer summits, or virtual events
- Experience working in or managing open source software communities
- Experience teaching, writing, or hosting workshops
When applying, mention the word CANDYSHOP when applying to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human RNDQuMjAxLjY4Ljg2M