Say hello to Newton — Canada's first low-cost cryptocurrency trading platform. We see a future where financial systems are open to everyone and built to empower people to embrace financial freedom. We believe cryptocurrency plays a role in that future, so we're making it more accessible to Canadians.
Newton team members are spread out across Canada within a fully-remote capacity.
Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Controller will be an integral part of the finance team! This role will over see a team of 3 crypto finance analysts as well as a Financial Analyst.
As a Controller, you will be responsible for:
· Own the monthly and annual close process including review and supervision of the corporate accountant.
· Oversee payroll, A/P, A/R, fund reconciliations, accrual and inter-company schedules and general journal entries ensuring that financial reports are accurate and delivered timely.
· Develop and implement policies, procedures and internal controls that will help support our rapid expansion
· Ascertain accounting issues related to new business plans or product features and advise stakeholders on the implications
· Ensure compliance with IFRS reporting standards and policies, including assisting the VP Finance in preparation of financial statement notes
· Coordinate and manage tax processes including tax compliance and filings and addressing federal and provincial tax issues with tax advisors
· Identify technical accounting issues, research, summarize, and implement solutions.
· Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
· Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain
· CPA is a MUST, including a working knowledge of IFRS
· A minimum of 4 years of accounting experience with at least 2 busy seasons in external audit at a national or global firm
Preferred but not required:
· Experience with or knowledge of IIROC financial reporting requirements, including Form 1 reporting
· US GAAP reporting experience or knowledge
At Newton, we celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
When applying, mention the word CANDYSHOP when applying to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human RNDQuMjAxLjY4Ljg2M